What is the Watch Your Car Program?
Watch Your Car (WYC) is a national auto theft prevention program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Assistance. Participants in the WYC program place a decal in the front and back windshield of their vehicle(s). Any vehicle bearing the WYC logo, operating between the hours of 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. will be stopped by the police.
How Does the Program Work?
During the stop, the police will verify who is driving the vehicle by consulting the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) database. If anyone other than the authorized driver(s) is operating the vehicle, the police will contact the owner to ask if it was stolen.
How Do I Apply?
You can obtain a consent form from either the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) Inspection Lanes, or any state, county or local police department in Delaware. You can also request a form directly from the Criminal Justice Council.
What is the Process?
- Every participant must complete a consent form and submit it to the Criminal Justice Council.
- The CJC will enter the name(s) of the authorized driver(s) into the DMV database.
- The CJC will mail the Watch your Car decal to the participants to place in the front and back windshields of their car(s).
- Why Should I Register?
- The decal is instantly recognizable by law enforcement agencies throughout the United States.
- The program offers inexpensive auto theft deterrence.
- To prevent the aggravation and inconvenience that accompanies the loss of a vehicle.
Who Can I Contact for More Information?
Delaware Criminal Justice Council
820 North French Street, 10th Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801
Phone: (302) 577-5030
Fax: (302) 577-3440