Incidence of Impaired Driving
For one of every 110 miles driven in Florida in 2000, a person with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) >.08 sat behind the wheel. Police in Florida reported 23,578 crashes involving a driver or pedestrian with a BAC of .01 or more. Formulas developed by NHTSA were used to estimate the number of alcohol-related crashes where alcohol involvement was not reported by the police. An estimated total of 135,300 crashes in Florida involved alcohol which killed 1,191 and injured an estimated 49,100 people.
Impaired Driving by Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC)
In 2000, Florida drivers with:
- BACs of .10 and above were involved in an estimated 128,800 crashes that killed 930 and injured 43,000
- BACs between .08-.09 were involved in an estimated 2,200 crashes that killed 76 and injured 1,900
- Positive BACs below .08 were involved in an estimated 4,300 crashes that killed 185 and injured 4,200
Alcohol is a factor in 25% of Florida's crash costs. Alcohol-related crashes in Florida cost the public an estimated $7.8 billion in 2000, including $3.5 billion in monetary costs and almost $4.3 billion in quality of life losses. (For definitions of the cost categories, see the definitions fact sheet.) Alcohol-related crashes are deadlier and more serious than other crashes. People other than the drinking driver paid $4.8 billion of the alcohol-related crash bill.
Costs per Alcohol-Related Injury
The average alcohol-related fatality in Florida costs $3.4 million:
- $1.1 million in monetary costs
- $2.3 million in quality of life losses
The estimated cost per injured survivor of an alcohol-related crash averaged $99,000:
- $49,000 in monetary costs
- $50,000 in quality of life losses
Costs per Mile Driven
Crash costs in Florida averaged:
- $6.50 per mile driven at BACs of .10 and above
- $2.80 per mile driven at BACs between .08-.09
- $0.10 per mile driven at BACs of .00
Costs per Drink
The societal costs of alcohol-related crashes in Florida averaged $1.00 per drink consumed. People other than the drinking driver paid $0.60 per drink.