Take an Online Defensive Driving Course in Texas
Written by Mary Salatino
An online Texas defensive driving course is a great tool for enhancing your skills, ensuring your safety on the road and maintaining a clean driving record in the Lone Star State. Adopting a defensive mindset while behind the wheel can significantly decrease your chances of becoming involved in an accident and improve the safety of those around you.
Read on to learn more about driver safety courses, including details about the benefits of completing a driver improvement course, eligibility requirements, insurance discounts, approved Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) education providers and more.
What Is Driver Safety Training?
By developing a set of skills and behaviors that go beyond the basics of following traffic rules and regulations, you can prevent accidents, avoid tickets and make the road a safer place for all motorists. TDLR-approved courses are about minimizing risks and being aware of your surroundings so you can quickly react to potential hazards.
During a traffic safety course, you will learn how to:
- Stay alert: Varied landscapes and traffic conditions require motorists to be constantly alert. Whether you're navigating the bustling streets of Houston or cruising along the wide-open highways between small towns, staying alert helps prevent accidents.
- Maintain a safe following distance: Keeping a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you allows more time for quick reactions, reducing the risk of rear-end collisions.
- Avoid distractions: With the advent of smartphones and other in-car technologies, distractions can be a significant issue. It's imperative to keep your focus on the road.
- Follow the speed limit: Excessive speed is a common factor in accidents. Adhering to the speed limit can help prevent tragedies.
- Adapt to weather conditions: Knowing how to adapt when rain, fog or other adverse conditions arise can help you maintain control of your vehicle.
Defensive driving training will provide you with the knowledge and techniques to become a safer, more responsible motorist, all while complying with the stringent regulations set by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.
It’s important to choose a course that is approved by the TDLR to ensure it meets the state’s standards. Our other state-approved programs include Parent-Taught Drivers Ed, Self-Taught Drivers Ed and Adult Drivers Ed.
If you want to find a Texas-approved online defensive driving course, look no further. SafeMotorist's Texas Defensive Driving Course is TDLR-approved and satisfies state training requirements.
Benefits of Traffic School
Whether you seek to dismiss a traffic citation, reduce insurance costs or simply become a more responsible motorist, a driver safety course is a smart investment in your future behind the wheel.
Here are some of the key benefits:
- Ticket dismissal: If you've received a traffic ticket in the Lone Star State, completing TDLR-approved training can help you get it dismissed. This can prevent points from being added to your driving record as well as eliminate insurance rate increases for eligible moving violations.
- Insurance discounts: Many insurance providers offer discounts to customers who complete a defensive driving course. These discounts can lead to savings of up to 10% on your premiums. Contact your provider to find out more about any discount programs available to you.
- Improved driving skills: Learning advanced safety techniques and developing a greater awareness of your surroundings can help reduce the risk of accidents and make each trip that much safer.
- Safer roads: You aren’t the only one who benefits from your training. Wider adoption of driver improvement training contributes to a culture of responsible driving, helping to reduce the number of accidents, injuries and fatalities on Texas highways.
Eligibility Requirements for Traffic Ticket Dismissal
If you're taking a defensive driving online course to dismiss a traffic ticket in Texas, you must first confirm your eligibility. Check with the court in the county where you received your ticket.
Each county may have specific rules and regulations regarding the types of citations that are eligible for dismissal through defensive driver training. Generally, tickets eligible for dismissal include minor moving violations such as speeding, running a red light or failing to yield the right of way.
However, it's important to be aware that some violations do not qualify for ticket dismissal. For instance, serious offenses, like speeding more than 25 mph over the posted speed limit, are typically not eligible. Additionally, if you've chosen to plead not guilty to your ticket and are currently contesting it in court, you cannot dismiss the ticket using this program.
Get Started Today
You can enhance your road safety by enrolling in SafeMotorist’s Texas Defensive Driving Course, a 100% online safety education program. This program provides insights into traffic hazards, helping you anticipate and mitigate potentially dangerous situations. It can also make your life easier by dismissing eligible traffic tickets and earning you insurance discounts. Start learning today!