Registration records of all vehicles in Hawaii must be updated annually.
Annual fees are based on the vehicle weight and usage. They are computed by the Division of Motor Vehicles and Licensing.
The deadline for registering vehicles is the last working day of the expiration month of the current registration. However, if the registration expiration date occurs on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the delinquent renewal penalty fee will not be charged until after the next working day.
A penalty will be assessed if fees are not paid on or before the expiration date. The penalty shall be an annual flat rate of $16.00 ($8.00-County Weight Tax penalty and $8.00-State weight Tax penalty) for the passenger rate and $40.00 ($20.00-County Weight Tax penalty and $20.00-State Weight Tax penalty) for the commercial rate.
Make checks payable to: City and County of Honolulu. Proof of Hawaii motor vehicle insurance is required to obtain a vehicle inspection, and the vehicle inspection sticker and certificate are necessary to operate a vehicle on all Hawaii roads and for all vehicle ownership-registration transactions.
Non-resident active duty military personnel must submit a properly completed Non-Resident Certificate, Form DF-L (MVR) 50, for each registration, renewal or transfer or transaction.
*Form DF-L (MVR) 50 is available from your military personnel office or your military unit.
Vehicle Registration Renewal
If your vehicle is registered in the City and County of Honolulu and you have recently received a renewal application form, you may submit your application on-line via the World Wide Web. All on-line renewals are to be made by credit card only (VISA and MasterCard are accepted).
To renew your vehicle registration on-line and for more information, go to HONOLULU's On-Line Vehicle Registration Renewal System.
You may also renew your vehicle registration:
By mail to:
Division of Motor Vehicles and Licensing
P.O. Box 30320
Honolulu, Hawaii 96820-0320
(When mailing the registration application to you, the City provides a self-addressed envelope).
In person at any Satellite City Hall. Call 527-6695 for office hours and addresses of the Satellite City Halls.
You may pay your fee:
- By cash, check, money order, traveler's check, or cashier's check.
- There is a $20.00 service fee for returned checks.
- But not by credit card.
Registering New Vehicles Bought from Oahu Dealer
When you buy a new vehicle on Oahu, the dealer will probably have it registered and licensed for you. But if this service is not provided, this is what you must do:
- Fill out an Application for Registration, Form DF-L (MVR) 1, which must be signed by you, the registered owner(s) and countersigned by a licensed Oahu vehicle dealer.
- Submit a Hawaii Vehicle Inspection Certificate.
- If you are an active duty service member stationed in Hawaii and a non-resident of this state, you must submit the Non-Resident Certificate, Form DF-L (MVR) 50, available from your military personnel office or your military unit.
- The required fees will be determined by vehicle registration or Satellite City Hall personnel.
Out of State Permit - must have the following
- Current registration
- Shipping document (Bill of Laden)/li>
- Fill out DF-L (MVR) 27 form (out of state permit application form)
- HI safety Inspection
- In lieu of Out of State permit - Registered Owner produce the following for vehicle currently registered out of State
- Title (if available) - need signature of all owners for issuance of HI title
- Current Safety Inspection
- Current out of state registration (must know Lien holder info, i.e., name and address, if LO exist)
- Bill of Laden
- Fill out CSL-1 application
- Pay HI registration amount for the 12 month period following the expiration of the current Out of State registration
Note: Taxes and fees are charged on an annual basis commencing when the out of state registration expires, there is no-proration for registrations which expire during the month.